Apple iOS is the operating system for iPhone. Some of its main features are the home screen with your apps and widgets, the lock screen with notifications, the App Store where you can find and install apps and iMessage, for easy communication between iPhone users.
Apple releases one major version upgrade of iOS per year and multiple times per year smaller updates for iOS.
Apple has released version 16.4 of iOS. This new version contains 21 new emojis, with among others new animals, hand gestures and objects. Version 16.4 of iOS also supports notifications for web apps, can find duplicate photos in a shared iCloud photo library and improves crash detection for iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models. Furthermore, voice isolation for conversations over a mobile network are improved, by better blocking background noises.
Version 16.4 of iOS contains the usual security fixes. We recommend that you install this update as soon as possible. How to do that, including the changelog of this version, can be found below.
If you have an older iPhone with iOS 15, then Apple has also released an update for that version.
You can upgrade to the latest iOS version as follows: Open the Settings app on your iPhone, and go to General and then Software Update. Your iPhone will then check for updates and show available updates.
- Twenty-one new emoji, including animals, hand gestures, and objects, are now available in the emoji keyboard
- Notifications for web apps added to the Home Screen
- Voice Isolation for cellular calls prioritizes your voice and blocks out ambient noise around you
- Duplicates album in Photos expands support to detect duplicate photos and videos in an iCloud Shared Photo Library
- VoiceOver support for maps in the Weather app
- Accessibility setting to automatically dim video when flashes of light or strobe effects are detected
- Fixes an issue where Ask to Buy requests from children may fail to appear on the parent's device
- Addresses issues where Matter-compatible thermostats could become unresponsive when paired to Apple Home
- Crash Detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models